Research position for embedded artistic researcher as part of the project Bridging art, design and technology through Critical Making.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences will appoint an artistic researcher for a two-year period as part of the NWO/SIA financed project Bridging art, design and technology through Critical Making. In this project, the concept of Critical Making will be researched and developed in the context of critical theory and artistic research in order to address creative practices in which art, design and technology fundamentally and practically intersect. Critical Making practices will conversely inform the arts on Open Source models of collective authorship and alternative intellectual property. For more information, see Critical Making website.
The artist-researcher will be embedded into one or more of the project’s partner institutes West Den Haag, Waag Society and Het Nieuwe Instituut as an artistic research fellow. Within the broader context of the Critical Making project, the candidate is invited to conduct practice-oriented research on specific topics relating to Critical Making, such as alternative forms of authorship and property, from a contemporary arts perspective.
The research proposal needs to specify to what degree Critical Making is relevant to the applicant’s practice. The project deliverables include, in addition to a contribution to the book publication at the end of this NWO/SIA Smart Culture project, artistic work such as exhibition, performance, creative writing or computer programming.
- Completion of an artistic research project in collaboration with one or more of the partner institutes
- Active participation in the overall Critical Making research project
- Contribution to the public activities of the research consortium
- Contribution to the final research publication of the Critical Making research project
- Teaching and workshop activities in the context of the Critical Making research project
Selection criteria / Requirements
- Applicants must have an art school Master degree or operate at a comparable level. The applicant must first and foremost demonstrate that he/she is a highly accomplished practitioner in the arts;
- On a theoretical level, the applicant must demonstrate familiarity with the basics of critical (cultural) theory and a readiness to further study this discursive domain. The applicant must show a strong sense of intellectual curiosity and the ability to justify the urgency of the research topic for his/her practice.
Terms and conditions
The position is for a period of two years (0,5 fte). Initially the employee will receive a one-year contract. A further one-year extension is possible after having received positive evaluations of capabilities and achievements.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (Hogeschool Rotterdam) offers you a fixed term contract (one year D4, part-time) with the possibility of extension. The salary range is HBO-CAO grade 10 (€ 2,638.45 minimum and € 3,994.25 maximum per month) for full-time employment, exclusive of 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. Our fringe benefits include excellent training facilities, an attractive pension scheme, and allow for a proper work/life balance.
To apply for this vacancy, please submit your application in English no later than March 15, 2018. You can only apply online via the Hogeschool Rotterdam website.
Applicants must put together a research dossier, consisting of the following documents combined into one PDF file:
- An artist’s statement (max. 500 words)
- A research proposal (max. 1.500 words), including:
- brief formulation of research question
- summary of proposal (150 words)
- research subject
- research process and method
- envisioned outcomes
- contribution to knowledge, understanding and art practice
- relevant literature
- artistic position and connection between artistic work and the proposal
- research goals and working plan
- A detailed curriculum vitae and a list of publications (if applicable)
- An artistic portfolio (max. 20 images/3 videos):
- In order to submit videos, please provide links to a digital platform, such as Vimeo, YouTube or your own website or blog, by including the URL address in the PDF file. If necessary, please provide a password
- List of (maximum) two referees to your application (with full postal addresses, telephone numbers and emails). Referees will be contacted directly by the selection committee.
The selection procedure will take place in week 12 (19-23 March), and selected candidates will be invited for an interview in week 15 (9-13 April). You are kindly requested to be available in this period. For more information concerning the position or the selection procedure, please contact Dr. Florian Cramer.